« Totally Unexpected News Dept | Main | And the winner is ... »

April 03, 2005

Under The Lights Where We Stand Tall

oday11.jpg

Opening Day at last.

Well, no. It's opening night. And that pisses me off.

The first game of the season is supposed to be played in the bright sunshine. That's why it is generally referred to as OPENING DAY. You take off from school or work and, if you don't actually go to the game, you meet your friends in the local sports bar or you pull your kids out of school early and gather in the family room. You wear your jerseys, drink your beer (or soda, as the case may be) and you watch the game in broad daylight.

So not only have they screwed with that traditional baseball moment for me, but they have further messed up my baseball mojo by scheduling the Yanks to play the Sox on the first day of the season.

The rivarly is supposed to simmer and bake. It's not something you throw together and present on a platter the first day. Sure, we had all off-season to taunt and tease each other, but that's not the same as going into games with some standings behind you, some games played, some history established. We don't want to use last year's chants. We don't want to live off of yesterday's taunts. We need a few weeks to build up a solid fight plan, to capitalize on whatever errors or media faux pas or off field antics occur before we meet. This business of staring each other down on opening day night is wrong; it's almost anti climatic.

That's not to say the game won't be without it's drama or intensity. We've got former Yankee Dave "tub o' lard" Wells facing off against new Yankee Randy "don't look at me" Johnson. We've got the first meeting since that awful moment 165 days ago that I don't want to talk about.

But it's still lacking something. I haven't had time to warm up my voodoo skills yet, nor have I worked up the necessary amount of seasonal venom to feel rabid towards any opposing player yet. We'll get there, for sure. I just wish it wasn't this early.

And I really wish the game was being played on a weekday, and not on a rainy, cold Sunday night, under the lights. Even playing under a gray, drizzly New York sky would feel more like opening day than playing under the stars would.

No matter. Even if my traditions have been fucked with, I'm ready for some action.

Play ball.

Under the lights where we stand tall
Nobody touches us at all
Showdown, shootout, spread fear within, without
We're gonna take what's ours to have
Spread the word throughout the land
They say the bad guys wear black blue
We're tagged and can't turn back

You see us coming
And you all together run for cover
We're taking over this town

Posted by Michele at April 3, 2005 06:57 AM

Comments

This could the ugliest pitching matchup in baseball. I'd wish you good luck, Michele...but I'd be lying. Either way, somebody gonna be talking trash way too early this year.

Posted by: spd rdr at April 3, 2005 08:16 AM

Amen to all that, sister... well, except replace "awful" with "incredible" ;p

And since they messed with the tradition of having the first game of the year be in Cincinnati on Opening DAY, I have to listen to our resident Reds fan rant about it every year, too.

It's gonna be an ugly game, but it's gonna be a game! (Unless, of course, they get snowed out.)

Posted by: Solonor at April 3, 2005 08:53 AM

I swear to God you're eavesdropping on my brain sometimes. I've been listening to "Cowboys from Hell" all week. Just recuing that track and playing it two or three times on the way to work.

Posted by: Jason at April 3, 2005 08:55 AM

I totally agree, this whole business of playing Boston six times in the first nine games is just annoying as all get out. They shouldn't have been allowed to see each other until the third week of the season, if for no other reason to give us some logs--wins and losses already on the books--to stoke the fire.

I mean, the cats won't even stay in the same room with me because of the bad vibes I'm already giving off, and the BootzDog is snarling at me from his end of the couch as I type this. Having to hold this in check until eight o'clock tonight is gonna be infuriating. By one o'clock--when this game should be getting under way--I'm going to be a doubly certified psychopath.

I'm starting the season with murder already squarely implanted in my heart, which I usually like to feed and nurture until, oh, mid May, before unleashing at RS heads.

Posted by: TC at April 3, 2005 10:45 AM

Go Red Sox!

(runs)

Posted by: NF at April 3, 2005 01:58 PM

NF is a wimp!

GO RED SOX!!

Hated Randy Johnson ever since he chose Diamonbacks over the Astros.

(Why is HTML turned off in the commnets?)

Posted by: (MF)NYHLLRSF at April 3, 2005 03:36 PM

Now, Michele. Actual, real baseball (and by that I mean baseball where every player has to bat) has its opening DAY tomorrow. They're just letting the children warm up the national audience today with some not-quite-major-league baseball, wherein the pitchers are handicapped, and the best hitters can't play defense.

Posted by: Jonathan at April 3, 2005 07:21 PM

Michele,
I'll kill that geek.
Please.
(BTW: TINO is a freakin' Damn Snappy)

Posted by: TC at April 4, 2005 01:59 AM