« A reminder | Main | Well, that took one day... »

March 17, 2005

Steroid Hearings

You can follow the hearings at ESPN

Opening statements
Panel one
Panel two

Sammy Sosa: Everything I heard about steroids and human growth hormones is that they are very bad for you and very lethal. I would never put anything that dangerous in my body

Mark McGwire: I will do everything in my power to help the game, its players and fans. My heart goes out to every parent whose son or daughter were victims of steroid use ... I hope that these hearings can prevent other families from suffering.

Jose Canseco, former Major League Baseball player and author of "Juiced," a book about the alleged rampant use of steroids in baseball, makes some controversial statements in a special "Face 2 Face with Roy Firestone" that premieres tonight at 9:30 p.m. ET...

In the interview, Canseco....talks about his own use of steroids and growth hormones, as well as other players, and actually recommends steroid use for some athletes.

"You know I don't recommend steroids for everyone ... but for some it will benefit them greatly, steroids and growth hormones definitely," says Canseco.

When Firestone asks if Canseco thinks he and other players who used steroids have hurt the game, Canseco's response is: "I think we made the game more exciting than ever. I think the home run competition between Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire brought the game back to life. I truly believe that these two individuals saved the game at one point. Were they using steroids? Absolutely."

No matter which team we root for, I think we can all get behind the notion of smacking Jose Canseco upside the head. With a bat.

McGwire says he won't name names, but I heard Curt Schilling call for the public naming of those who tested positive.

Text of Canseco's statement to House Committee

Posted by Michele at March 17, 2005 03:17 PM

Comments

I think the Senators need a beating for this showboating crap. It's so important that they need to have the hearings, but they ignore Bonds and excuse Giambi? This is nothing but a chance for some blowhards to get some facetime in the media, and nothing will change because of it.

Posted by: skillzy at March 17, 2005 04:24 PM

Agreed 100% Skillzy.

I may be a Yankee fan, but I have no love for Giambi. He should be up there testifying.

Posted by: michele at March 17, 2005 04:27 PM

"I would never put anything that dangerous in my body...well, except for that time I got too drunk and went home with the 'woman' I met at the Voodoo Lounge in Schaumburg."

Posted by: Hubris at March 17, 2005 04:49 PM

Tell me I'm not the only one who read the Sosa quote and thought:

"Baseball been bery, bery good to me... Steriods, bery, bery, bad!"

Posted by: JFH at March 17, 2005 05:57 PM

My questions is who really cares about the most overpaid jerks in the world using steroids? Why would it matter at all? It's just baseball.

Posted by: flaime at March 18, 2005 06:59 PM

I don't think players who use steroids, should be allowed into the Hall of Fame. The "Hall" somewhere where the greats of baseball can sum up their careers. Players who use 'roids already screwed up the game and if they get voted into the Hall then they're are screwing it up for the players already inducted. The Hall was made for players who love the game and play the game because it is baseball, not because of the money they get. Personally, I dont think you should be in the Hall because you hit so many homeruns, but for what you did for the game and players who use 'roids only do it for themselves and not for the game

Posted by: Slider2423 at March 23, 2005 02:14 PM

My question is: "How come Barry Bonds was not at the hearing?" Watching Around The Horn a couple weeks ago, they explained how they chose the players to go to the hearing. They said that players who had told the Grand Jury that they took steroids or who were mentioned in "The Godfather of Steroids'" book. Ok Sammy Sosa never came out and publically said that he took steroids and Rafeal Palmiero? What did he do? Curt Schilling only went out with a torn muscle in the ankle, which is a necessity for pitching, and pitched the game 7 against the Yanks. Does that mean he took the 'roids? I think not. What i think is that Congress should stay out of it. They're not even involved with the game of baseball.

Posted by: sLIDER2423 at March 23, 2005 02:23 PM