AFI Movie Quote Tally/A Poll of Our Own
I didn't get to watch the show last night, but AFI has put up on their site the 100 movie quotes that made it their list of fame.
Here are the quotes you DIDN'T get (make sure you scroll down for the poll if you don't feel like readin through this list)
- Here's looking at you, kid. CASABLANCA
- Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night. ALL ABOUT EVE
- Love means never having to say you're sorry. LOVE STORY
- Made it, Ma! Top of the world! WHITE HEAT
- Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. CASABLANCA
- I am big! It's the pictures that got small. SUNSET BLVD.
- I'm walking here! I'm walking here! MIDNIGHT COWBOY
- After all, tomorrow is another day! GONE WITH THE WIND
- I'll have what she's having. WHEN HARRY MET SALLY
- Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth.
THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES
- If you build it, he will come. FIELD OF DREAMS
- We rob banks. BONNIE AND CLYDE
- Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars. NOW, VOYAGER
- Shane. Shane. Come back! SHANE
- Well, nobody's perfect. SOME LIKE IT HOT
- It's alive! It's alive! FRANKENSTEIN
- You had me at "hello." JERRY MAGUIRE
- One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know. ANIMAL CRACKERS
- La-dee-da, la-dee-da. ANNIE HALL
- A boy's best friend is his mother. PSYCHO
- Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. WALL STREET
- Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. THE GODFATHER II
- Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into! SONS OF THE DESERT
- What a dump. BEYOND THE FOREST
- Elementary, my dear Watson. THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES
- Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape. PLANET OF THE APES
- Is it safe? MARATHON MAN
- Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet! THE JAZZ SINGER
- No wire hangers, ever! MOMMIE DEAREST
- Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico? LITTLE CAESAR
- I have always depended on the kindness of strangers. A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE
- ...I am serious…and don't call me Shirley. AIRPLANE!
- Hello, gorgeous. FUNNY GIRL
- Toga! Toga! NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE
- Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make. DRACULA
- My precious. THE LORD OF THE RINGS: TWO TOWERS
- Attica! Attica! DOG DAY AFTERNOON
- Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star! 42ND STREET
- ...I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go! ON GOLDEN POND
- Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper. KNUTE ROCKNE ALL AMERICAN
- A martini. Shaken, not stirred. GOLDFINGER
- Who's on first. THE NAUGHTY NINETIES
- ...It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole! CADDYSHACK
- Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death! AUNTIE MAME
- I feel the need - the need for speed! TOP GUN
- Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
DEAD POETS SOCIETY
- Snap out of it! MOONSTRUCK
- ..... And I thank you. YANKEE DOODLE DANDY
People! What happened? You got LESS THAN HALF!
Ok, I blame that on AFI. I never like their lists, anyhow.
And you know what happens when people make lists I don't agree with. Yep, I make my own. So while I come up with my 100 greatest movie quotes of all time, you can leave your suggestions here, much the same way I did with the 20 albums, the 500 songs, the best comedies, etc., etc. In fact, I'm going to do this differently: this will be a joint list. They have the AFI movie quotes, we'll have the ASV movie quotes (though I'll still try to come up with my own separate list). I'll take the top 100 and put them up on a separate page to save for posterity. Because some day, maybe 400 years from now, someone will find the list and use it to study the psychology of ancient human beings. Or not.
So, even though we've done this before, this time is for real because I'm keeping a tally. BEST movie quotes. Memorable, repeatable and recognizable. And, unlike the AFI list, naughty words are allowed.
Update: I would really, really like to try to limit movies to one quote per. That's not to say you can't nominate 132 quotes from the same movie, but I would prefe that only one of them eventually makes this list, meaning that 100 truly quotable movies will be represented.