listomatic: sporty movies
Best baseball movies:
- Bad News Bears
- Bad News Bears in Breaking Training
- Bang the Drum Slowly (original)
- The Natural
- Bingo Long and the Traveling All Stars
- Field of Dreams
- Major League
- The Sandlot
- Long Gone (does anyone else remember this movie? This is when I discovered the sexiness that is Virginia Madsen)
- Damn Yankees
- Fear Strikes Out
And yes, Bull Durham is purposefully left off the list. I loathe that movie with an undescribable passion. And I thought Eight Men Out was boring.
Best Hockey Movies
- Slapshot (best SPORTS movie ever)
- Mighty Ducks (first only)
- Mystery, Alaska
- Miracle on Ice (the 1981 made for tv movie)
No, not Youngblood. And not that movie where the hockey player becomes a figure skater.
Best Football Movies
- The Longest Yard (original)
- North Dallas 40
- Little Giants
- Brian's Song (original only)
- Jerry Maguire (Yea, I liked this movie)
- Paper Lion
- Jim Thorpe, All American (I watched this by accident one day and found it to be a really excellent movie)
- Two Minute Warning (not about football, per se, but contains football)
- Black Sunday (see note above)
- Last Boy Scout (ditto)
- All the Right Moves
Note: I didn't see Remember the Titans, and I didn't like Any Given Sunday or The Replacements.
Best Basketball Movies
- Basketball Diaries
- The Air Up There
- Fast Break (dude, it's got GABE KAPLAN!)
- Teen Wolf
- Finding Forrester
- Air Bud (yea, that's right. Air Fucking Bud)
- One on One (two words: Robby. Benson.)
- Baseketball. Of course.
Ok, I haven't seen a lot of basketball movies.
Best Soccer movies:
- The Big Green
- That one with Stallone and the jail
- Shaolin Soccer
- Bend it like Beckham
I'm not going to do a list for arm-wrestling, but if I did, you know what the only movie on that list would be. I don't want to embarass myself by mentioning how much I love that piece of crap.
Ok, that's it. Add your own.