listomatic: star wars, nothing but star wars
wtih music bonus!
In preparation for Revenge of the Sith, I watched the first three (meaning first three released) Star Wars movie over the past week. It's almost unnerving how I've come back full circle to immersing myself in my Star Wars geekiness - something that left me years ago. I thought it had gone from my system, really. But I can see now that it never really leaves you. It may lie dormant, but it never leaves.
I'm not one of those full fledged Star Wars geeks that will dress in costume to go to a premiere or memorize the genealogy chart of every major - and minor- character to appear in the movies, books and comics. I am, however, enough of a geek to have long, drawn out conversations about the Star Wars world which, to outsiders listening in, would sound as if we were talking about, you know, reality. Think Randal and Dante.
One such conversation I had yesterday is one I've had a thousand times at least since I first saw Episode IV. It's something that has bothered me all these years and will continue to bother me each time I watch the movie.
Tell me something: how would you react if you watched your home planet blown to smithereeens right in front of you? Would you collapse in grief? Break down in uncontrollable sobs? Faint? Go deaf, dumb and blind from the horror of watching everyone you have ever known or loved be wiped out in milliseconds? Or would you gasp, let out a stifled cry and then, a short time later, engage in flirtatious banter with a rogue space captain?
I don't know why that has remained a sticking point with me, but it has. Oh, there are other things. I could go on and on about continuity and such, but I've learned it's better to keep those things to myself, lest I be told, once again, that I need to get a life.
Which brings me to today's lists.
Favorite Star Wars quotes (original trilogy edition, some of which are favorites because of the context)
- Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid
- That's no moon. It's a space station
- Sorry about the mess
- Apology accepted, Captain Needa
- Laugh it up, fuzzball
- It's against my programming to impersonate a deity
- It's a trap!
- You know, sometimes I amaze even myself.
- Oota goota, Solo? Soam peetalay. EE mal-a-tran tee-tachma geekeetna
- But I was going to go into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters!
Favorite Star Wars references from TV
- The Animaniacs episode devoted to SW
- "The Empire Strikes Brak"
- The exchange in Clerks between Randal and Dante about the Death Star
- Family Guy - Stewie freezes someone in carbonite
- Futurama - Near Death Star
- Chewbacca at the MTV Awards in 1997
- Muppet Babies - they had tons of SW references, but there was one whole episode where the babies made a home movie version of Star Wars.
- Bill Murray on SNL: Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...
- Simpsons - way too many to mention
- The Chewbacca Defense
- ZORAK: Prowse is the true Vader!
MOLTAR: PROWSE? PROWSE?!?!??!? All he did was walk around and hold up his fist! James Earl Jones gave Lord Vader everything!
Favorite pictures from the day I did the limbo with Darth Vader
Favorite lyrics involving Star Wars
- I'm kinda like Han Solo always strokin' my own Wookiee (Bloodhound Gang)
- Chewbacca! What a Wookiee! (Suernova)
- We've got Greedo and Solo to the rear. (Clutch)
- My backpack's got jets. I'm Boba the Fett.
I bounty hunt for Jabba Hutt to finance my 'Vette. (MC Chris download! Lyrics here)
Star Wars character I've had sexual fantasies about:
- It ain't Luke, I'll tell you that much
It's really not going to help lower my geekiness any when I do a video game list later.