I shall now regale you with post one of several posts which will detail in vague terms my favorite things of the past year. In a random sort of way.
Presenting, the 2004 ASV Awards for Random, Abritrary and Subjective Opinions Which Matter To No One Else But the Presenter of Said Award
* Book that I took out of the library but liked so much I purchased it and read it again: Blankets.
* Book I took out of the library because everyone and their sister raved about it so much I took it to be the reading equivalent of an orgasm but five pages in, I decided I didn't even care enough to fake the moans: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.
* Book I thought was going to be fantastic based on the writer's previous works but which ended up "tasting like ass
* Album that came out in 2003 but which I listened to obsessively in 2004: Brand New - Deja Entendu
* Song which I found myself inexplicably singing and enjoying: Encore/Curtains Down
- Eminem feat. 50 Cent, Dr. Dre
* Best album by one of my favorite artists ever whose last album disappointed me but man, did he come through on this one: Abattoir Blues/Lyre Of Orpheus
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
* Worst musical idea that used to be a trendy sort of thing in a quiet way but now is ubiquitous in a horrid, ear burning way: Mash-ups
* Band that did nothing to make me think they got any better over the years: Godsmack
* Band that put out an album in which they cringingly sound like middle aged men trying to keep relevant while rapping in a "let's buy a corvette and have an affair with a 20 year old blonde" sort of way and personally, I don't think they succeeded but I'll let it go because I have a long history with them: Beastie Boys
* Worst band name ever that became fairly well known in 2004: Hooboostank
* Song which at first blush I hated in a way one would hate any band that was obviously struggling to pull off a Geddy Lee affectation, but which grew on me so much that I finally appreciated the song for what it was, despite the Geddy Lee thing; Coheed & Cambria - A Favor House Atlantic
Ok, That's all I have time for right now as we have our annual holiday luncheon today and I'm gearing up for some free food and drinks, which takes a certain amount of concentrated energy to gear up for.
I have about fifteen of these posts in me, I think. Fair warning and all. If you have suggestions for categories, be they straight forward or assinine like some of these, let me know.
Update: Ok, I think I'll shorten this to the ASV Abritraries. Has a nice ring to it.
Update: Weird. Before I left for lunch, there was a graphic on this post. When I got back, it was gone, the code wiped from the post. I put it back. Now let's see if it stays put.