« Thanks, Santa | Main | You better watch out! »

get on your bike and ride

Transit strike + snowy morning rush hour = armageddon.

I guess Mayor Bloomber didn't plan ahead for snowy and icy sidewalks when he encouraged people to ride their bicycles to work.

His other bright idea, picking up strangers to comply with the four person-per-car minimum isn't going over too well, either. 84% of the people taking a Newsday poll said they would not ride with strangers. The other 16% of the votes all came from the Nassau County Jail.

Just in case you were wondering, motorcycles and hearses are exempt from the four person rule.

Stay away from NYC tomorrow.

TrackBack

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference get on your bike and ride:

» blackjack from blackjack
Please check some helpful info about roulette blackjack [Read More]

» diamond stud earrings from diamond stud earrings
Yep - I have seen other platinum wedding ring sites - and nothing can compare this platinum wedding ring site. Nothing really compares the full version of platinum wedding ring - the ... [Read More]

» diamond stud earrings from diamond stud earrings
platinum wedding ring is, indeed, the site I spoke on. Play more, gain more, platinum wedding ring never no more. Visit the platinum wedding ring site!!! No doubt, the http:/... [Read More]

» diamond stud earrings from diamond stud earrings
Yep - I have seen other platinum wedding ring sites - and nothing can compare this platinum wedding ring site. Nothing really compares the full version of platinum wedding ring - the be... [Read More]

Comments

Yeah, Mikey's a moron. I'm having a Find a Nickname for Mayor Bloomberg contest just to celebrate his particular brand of idiocy.

On the bright side, if there is a transit strike, I'll be starting my vacation two days early. Still, I hope there isn't one. Sort of.

Now isn't that just special...ya gotta freeze yer ass off or be dead to get around the commute rules?

Who the fuck puts four coffins in a hearse anyway. Is the fifth left on the curb for the next casual commute pool?

You couldn't make this stuff up.

Being a longtime bicyclist, you'd think I'd know this, but I don't:

Is there such a thing as CHAINS for bicycle tires? :-)

Besides, if us folks here on the Left Coast can ride our trusty steeds in a bloody downpour y'all hardy Easterners should be able to manage a little ol' blizzard. :-)

To be honest, the transit workers union aren't exactly being saints here. I'll defend Mayor Mike on this one -- I don't know anyone who is getting 6% raises these days in the city.

I don't like this Toussaint asshole who runs the union.

For the record, I am usually pro-union (go figure).

Scott, I agree that the TWU is being unreasonable. My criticism of Mikey isn't about his standing up to them. It's about the other stuff (the "pick up a stranger" schtick, the fact that he didn't make sure that Metro-North and LIRR contingency plans would be ready to go as soon as the strike is announced rather than 24 hours later...).

it's so shocking - I heard on the radio today that NYC residentsm ight actually have to walk to work. My heart goes out to everyone.

If you had to walk in NYC, you wouldn't like it. Most folks live several miles from where they work -- IF they're in Manhattan.

Me? I'm almost ten miles from my office in Times Square. I live up in the northeast section of Da Bronx, and there's no way I could walk in. Thankfully, I have an express bus I could take instead of the #6.

Bloomberg's statement was a bit stupid about riding with strangers. Still, he gets a lot of flack for other stuff that isn't deserved. I'd love to see ANYone try and balance the city budget with the gaping holes in it. Ain't gonna happen easily, which means social services will be cut, and that isn't good.